Re: [Nmh-workers] [exmh-workers] Second release candidate for nmh 1.5 is

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] [exmh-workers] Second release candidate for nmh 1.5 is now available
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 08:31:12 -0400

>The reason for the error is that nmh 1.5 needs a "From: " line.
>I don't know how to communicate via ~/.mh_profile to send in such
>a way that it can pick up a -form <formfile> to add it, as I do
>with 'comp'.

Wow, people actually _use_ disposition notifications?  I'm shocked; haven't
seen one of those in forever.

So, to answer your question - there's no functionality in send (or post,
which really is the backend program to send) to call mh-format(5).  And
I don't really see that happening either; the thinking from the nmh
camp is that you're supposed to be giving send a valid draft, and a valid
draft includes a From: header (send does do a limited amount of processing
on a draft but I think mh-format support is way out of scope for it).

So I think this has to be fixed from the exmh side.  I see a couple of
options - it could simply put a From: header in that draft.  What from
header should it use?  Good question - that could be configurable, or it
could extract it from nmh, via something like this:

        /usr/local/nmh/lib/ap -format '%(localmbox)' ignore

(That would only work for nmh 1.5 or later).  Or it could use comp
to build up a valid draft and then process it.