Re: [Nmh-workers] rmmproc Not Used for Lots of Messages; refile Copies.

From: Paul Vixie
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] rmmproc Not Used for Lots of Messages; refile Copies.
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 04:54:05 +0000

On 2012-11-27 1:09 AM, Ken Hornstein wrote:
>> using argv[] to carry bulk data is gauche. if mh wants to be hacky it
>> can do stuff like that. if mh wants to be an example of good engineering
>> then it has to do something else.

i stand by this in spite of modern linux's ability to pass 200Mbyte of
argv[]. for one thing not every system that MH can otherwise run on has
this kind of high limit. for another thing no matter how large you make
it there will some day be some crazy person with a folder larger than
that limit.

> So for this hypothetical rmmpipe ... should the filename separator be
> a newline or a \0?

if we want to allow newlines in filenames we'd have to allow -0 (like
xargs does) to change the format. this would be a burden on all rmmpipe
implementations, unwarranted in my view since someone crazy enough to
put a \n in their MHPATH deserves all the pain we can lay in store for them.

so, \n.

--
"It seems like the rules for automagic completion of incomplete names typed
into browsers are going to start to look like those for the game of fizbin."