Re: [Nmh-workers] configurable part separator lines

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] configurable part separator lines
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 15:14:59 -0400

ken wrote:
 > [ part  - text/plain -   ]
 > >>opposed to just doing it directly in the format engine?  1.6 supports
 > >>retrieving some terminal parameter strings directly from terminfo(5),
 > >>like the codes to set foreground and background color.  If it's not
 > >
 > >If it does, etc/scan.highlighted should maybe be updated then?
 > >I was not aware of any terminfo support, but recently discovered
 > >the profile-entry hack suggested ni the current version of this.
 >
 > Well, I didn't keep it a secret:
 >
 >   http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2014-01/msg00008.html
 >
 > Also, check out etc/scan.curses.

it seems that if i use mh-format coloring in my mhshow marker
line, that the color gets reset at the end of the marker line
whether i include a resetterm sequence or not.  i see that scan.curses
explicitly provides resetterm, so now i'm wondering if what
i'm seeing with mhshow markers is a bug or a feature?

...  oh.  nevermind.  it's "less" that's reseting the terminal -- if i
set moreproc to "cat" then the resetterm sequence is definitely
needed.

but i might now see an advantage of adding color after the fact --
i think it makes it easier to not colorize if i don't want it.
there's no way (that i see) to tell mh-format not to apply color
sequences if output isn't a terminal, and that might be tricky anyway
given that output often goes through less, which support color on
stdin.  (if i run "mhshow >file" i definitely don't want coloring.)

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 38.8 degrees)