Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.6 Release Engineering

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.6 Release Engineering
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 20:01:25 -0700

Lyndon Nerenberg <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mar 7, 2014, at 5:13 PM, Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Well ... we were all over the place, part of that was the limitations
>> imposed by CVS branch naming before.
>
> I know. I have dealt with them all over the years :-P  (RCS, CVS, svn, git,
> p4, hg, ...)
>
> I just want a bit of consistency.  Something that people can look at 20 years
> down the road and (hopefully) immediately understand.

I like consistency as much as anybody, but in this case, why make 20
years of developers suffer?

On all of my projects that I switched to git, I INSTANTLY got rid of the
silly CVS restriction of having - and .s in tags with no reservations
whatsoever. I use git tag -n with a small enough number that keeps me
from seeing the hideous old tags.

I'm with Ken.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>