Re: [Nmh-workers] Future thoughts: better MIME processing

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Future thoughts: better MIME processing
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:07:17 -0400

>    > Part of me thinks we should include a tool that interfaces with
>    > text/calendar format files and lets people easily view and generate a
>    > reply to them.
>
>Yes, if not directly in nmh, then strongly recommended to install.
>(In debian terms this would be a "recommended" dependancy, which if
>available, is usually installed, but won't cause a failure to install if
>unavailable).

It seems that no one really provides a tool that does what we want.
calcurse sort-of does the display stuff, but it's kind of heavyweight
to install just for that.  I think it would be reasonable to provide a
command-line tool that can be used to deal with these.

The lesson from replyfilter seems to me that putting this tool in
"contrib" and writing it in another language (like perl) would result in
it not being used that much, partly because another language would
result in a whole pile of dependencies, partly because if it was in
"contrib" not everyone would know about it.  So this tool should be
written in C and live in base.  I'll think about how such a tool could
be integrated into the "new MIME" architecture I've been musing about.