Re: [Nmh-workers] semantics of mhshow -type and -part

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] semantics of mhshow -type and -part
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 15:52:49 -0500

ralph wrote:
 > Hi Paul,
 >
 > > if you specify a part with -part, it will definitely selected to
 > > appear in the output.  as in the current codebase, -type switches
 > > apply to parts already selected with -part (or all parts, in the
 > > absence of -part) -- i.e., they act as a further filter.
 > > comments?
 >
 > You're the coder, so you get to choose.  :-)  So if I do `-type
 > text/plain -part 4' to read the email and get that particular
 > interesting PDF, I get nothing?

yes, that's right.  but i think that's already true in current
git, and from the code, it looks like it's always been true.  i just
built a copy of 1.6 to check, and it seems that it's true there too.
does your copy work the way you describe?

 > I've always thought of them all as an
 > OR.  Plain or RTF text or this part or that part.

the code says:
        if (part_ok (p) && type_ok (p, 1)) {

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 17.8 degrees)