Re: [Nmh-workers] Unexpected munging of outgoing message with nmh 1.6

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Unexpected munging of outgoing message with nmh 1.6
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 14:11:50 -0500

David Levine <address@hidden> writes:
> Tom wrote:
>> Why would some purely ASCII text get converted to quoted-printable?

>     It [mhbuild(1)] will check for 8bit data, long lines, spaces
>     at the end of lines, and clashes with multipart boundaries.

Ah.  The line-length issue may explain why the q-p conversion kicked in.
However, I'm not complaining about q-p per se, but about the fact that
it changed the text.

I'm not really sure what's the triggering factor, but I can reproduce it.
The first attachment below is a message as I submitted it to exmh,
and the second is what was delivered.  The third is an intermediate
file I found in the drafts directory; I'm not too sure about the
processing sequence but I think this one is the output of mhbuild.

Note that the delivered version got de-quoted-printable-ized by
sendmail or procmail, but what was extracted doesn't match the
original text, which is unsurprising because there's no trace of
the backslashes in the q-p version.

                        regards, tom lane