Re: [Nmh-workers] Unexpected munging of outgoing message with nmh 1.6

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Unexpected munging of outgoing message with nmh 1.6
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 17:21:36 -0500

>No, and no.  I never even heard of -nodirectives, and don't see any such
>thing in the "send" man page.  As for #off, why should I be expecting to
>have to put directives into a plain text message?
>The workflow I'm accustomed to is that, if I've put any directives into
>my message, I run mhbuild on them explicitly (using C-c C-e in emacs
>MH-Letter mode).  If I haven't done that, I would really rather that
>lines that happen to start with '#' not be considered magic.

They were not supposed to be considered magic; it was a bug.

To explain some of this in greater detail ... for 1.6 we changed things
to run mhbuild always (obviously, you know this).  But when send(1)
runs mhbuild, it runs it with the -auto flag.  This has two effects:
it enables -nodirectives and will silently exit if it detects that the
draft has a MIME-Version header (the latter so if you "mime" a draft you
won't get an error; the thinking is if you have a MIME-Version header
the draft is already in MIME format and doesn't need mhbuild).

The code that processed MIME directives worked correctly; it would skip
the #define line because -nodirectives was set.  But the code that
processed _lines_ had the bug; it would see the # at the beginning,
assume it was a directive, and process a \ at the end as a continuation
marker (this was done so the mhbuild directive could be processed as a
single line).  That's what David fixed just now.