Re: [Nmh-workers] Bug in 1.7 mh-format numeric output

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Bug in 1.7 mh-format numeric output
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 23:24:21 +0000

Hi Ken,

I thought this seemed a bit familiar.  After failing to get the
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2017-08/msg00064.html
the hard way.  `but uses four, not three'.

> scan.size uses %4(msg), and I don't have any folders with more than
> 9999 messages.  So ... no?  I see scan.default uses %4(msg) as well.

I agree nmh ships thinking %4 is big enough for anybody.  That's fine.
Your folders don't have any messages numbers that need more than four
digits so why do you notice this bug?  The overwide formatting only
occurs on overflow;  four digits, four wide, is fine.

    $ for w in 3 4 5; do
    >     fmttest -raw -format _%$w'(compval{text})_' 3141
    > done
    _?141_    [Should be _?41_.]
    _3141_
    _ 3141_