octal-dev

Re: [Octal-dev] OCTAL Technical Article!!!

From: Dave O'Toole
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] OCTAL Technical Article!!!
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:37:55 -0400

>         You're right. I totally forgot about that, since I was preoccupied
> with quality. That, and you can't get a very full range of notes with
> quality that way (I think the limit is something like 200%, or one
> octave).

Yeah. Well, even just resampling will start to sound a little funny if
you go up much more than an octave (while down is usually fine if you're
using a good resampler, i.e. not linear) Luckily most melodies don't
span more than two octaves. Hmm, I think there might be an exception or
two.... anybody a big fan of that Autechre song "NUANE"?

I think an ultra-high-quality pitchshifter could be implemented though;
it just would probably not be realtime, i.e. for use with a sample
editor that uses OCTAL plugins. And a relatively lo-fi one like the one
for Buzz would be good as a realtime toy; if it can be sufficiently
declicked it would be an essential tool.

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden