Re: Octave 1.90 available for ftp

From: Jeppe Sigbrandt
Subject: Re: Octave 1.90 available for ftp
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 17:53:29 GMT

Hi,

(have sent this to mailing list since somebody there may
know whats going on, and it may be useful if anyone else is
running into similar problems with Debian)

jwe writes:
> If your system has ncurses, why is the test for it failing?  Is it in
> a directory that ld doesn't normally search?

This is what /var/lib/dpkg/status reports
(dpkg maintains a database about the state of the debian system):

Package: ncurses-base
Essential: yes
 This package contains what should be a reasonable subset of terminal
 definitions, including: ansi, dumb, linux, sun, vt100, vt102, vt220,
 vt52, xterm and xterm-color.

Package: ncurses3.0
Essential: yes
 This package contains the shared libraries necessary to run programs
 compiled with the ncurses libraries.

Package: ncurses-bin
Essential: yes
 This package contains the programs used for manipulating the terminfo
 database and individual terminfo entries, as well as some programs for
 resetting terminals and such.

It appears I have "ncurses-base" and "ncurses3.0" and "ncurses-bin" installed,
which conflict with "ncurses".  Maybe this is more a problem for Debian
people ...

For more details of the exact files within the above packages one can do
grep ncurses
ftp://ftp.mcc.ac.uk:/pub/linux/distributions/Debian/buzz/Contents.gz

Files with "ncurses" in their filenames are located at:
/lib/libncurses.so.3.0
/lib/libcurses.so.0.1.2
/lib/libcurses.so.0

Regards,