Re: Octave 1.90 available for ftp

From: Jeppe Sigbrandt
Subject: Re: Octave 1.90 available for ftp
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 16:37:03 GMT

> > My linux system is also a debian distribution:
>
> >   Linux tillamook-sharp 2.0.6 #2 Sun Jul 14 18:49:25 PDT 1996 i586
> >   Copyright (C) 1993-1996 Debian Association, Inc. and others
>
> > with exactly the same ncurses entries in /var/lib/dpkg/status and the
> > same curses libs in /lib.
>
> > I also have the following files in /usr/lib:
>
> >   /usr/lib/libcurses.a
> >   /usr/lib/libcurses.so
> >   /usr/lib/libncurses.a
> >   /usr/lib/libncurses.so
> >   /usr/lib/libncurses3.0_pic.a
> >   /usr/lib/libncurses_g.a
>
> > I don't have termcap or termlib libraries.  When I run configure, it
> > finds -lncurses.
>
> > Can someone please debug this?
>
> I have exactly the same system, and never had a problem with finding
> ncurses.
>
> Jeppe, did you check config.log?  It might show where the problem is.
> It seems that ncurses3.0-dev is not installed on your system ... so I
> would conjecture that the autoconf test fails because there is no
> curses.h on your system etc etc.
>
> Can you please check that?

You are right :) All that was needed was to install ncurses3.0-dev
from the development section of the Debian distribution.  Thx !!!

I did take a look at config.log when the problem occured and it
reported not being able to find ncurses.  However, since all the
standard ncurses stuff was there, it left me confused.

Would this warrant a short note in the Install instructions?

The compilation seems to be proceeding smoothly now :)

Regards,
jay