Re: RFC: Using Standard C++ library components in Octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: RFC: Using Standard C++ library components in Octave
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:55:52 -0500

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 09:02:13AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> There has been talk of integrating guile in the past, and using glib
> points out the possibility of using the
> guile/guile-gobject/ORBit/bonobo nexus.  It would be cool to have
> octave available via CORBA as a Gnome desktop component and therefore
> usable as a plugin for other programs.  Making octave a gnome desktop
> component would require linking with glib (and many other things), but
> wouldn't require that internal data structures be in any particular
> format, so these issues are not really coupled.  That said, using glib
> would be a slight cultural shift in the gnome-hat direction.

I'm interested in making an "embeddable" octave which is basically a
headless compute engine so that it can run without the console on Windows.
The same operations would perhaps be useful for writing an octave server
or ORB wrapper.  Would you care to spec out what you would need for a
Gnome corba wrapper?

For what I'm doing with the Tk link, there are a number of things I
need.

* the initialization code must be separated out

* the read-eval-print loop must be turned into a eval string statement

* for me it would be convenient to have separate toplevel namespaces
  which can share global variables --- presumably the namespace would
  be the handle passed to eval

* octave signal handling should not interfere with the application
  signal handling

* octave should be callable from C code, so publish the interface in
  an extern "C" block

* need to do something about input/debug since octave is running
  without stdio

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden