[Patch] Shared build on OS X

From: Per Persson
Subject: [Patch] Shared build on OS X
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:50:04 +0100

Hi,
the attached patch will fix the problem with shared builds on OS X.

It is basically the same things as was proposed some time ago,
http://www.octave.org/mailing-lists/octave-maintainers/2002/220
but never made it into the source. I don't remember why.

I don't really like the addition of LDFLAGS to {SH, DL}_LDFLAGS, but otherwise the linker couldn't find libs (e.g. lg2c) in nonstandard locations (specified in LDFLAGS).
There are probably better ways to do this.

Octave (CVS as of 2004-02-11) compiles and runs testcases without errors (# of expected passes 1199)
on Mac OS X 10.3.3 using
gcc 3.3 20030304 (Apple build 1495) and
g77 3.3.2

Known problems:
Linking with hdf5 libs (and probably other external libs as well) doesn't work, since they have to be explicitly stated on the link line.

I haven't fixed mkoctfile yet, since it is getting late, but I think it should be changed
along jwe's comment in discussion of the old patch above.

/Per