Re: packaging system

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: packaging system
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:19:18 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
[snip]
I think we should be using octave_config_info to get the values of the
variables

  localapifcnfiledir
  localapioctfiledir
  localarchlibdir
  localfcnfiledir
  localoctfiledir
  localstartupfiledir
  localverarchlibdir
  localverfcnfiledir
  localveroctfiledir

to install package components?  These would work for privileged users
installing files to be shared by all users on a system.
Makes sense. I would prefer to keep the file installed by package X in a subdirectory called X or X-VERSION, since that would make uninstallation trivial (we wouldn't have to keep track of which files belongs to which packages). Of course this would mean the user would have change her path.

Maybe we
should define another set of directories for installing files for a
particular user?  In that case, maybe installing the entire contents
of a package in a subdirectory of ~/octave is sufficient?  The name of
the top-level directory should be configurable, of course.  Perhaps
refuse to install if the user hasn't set it in some way?  I think this
is what the perl CPAN module does.
To me, this is very important, since I use Octave at school where I don't have the priviliges to install software outside my home directory. I don't think a default directory should be used if the user doesn't supply one, but I don't really have any good arguments. We can just introduce a variable called octave_package_prefix (or simular).

jwe
/Søren