MINGW build of octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: MINGW build of octave
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:28:24 +0200

John,

I'm trying to get a MINGW build of octave working as this seems to me ultimately the best way to overcome the issues of cygwin speed, as it results in a native Windows binary... I've ported readline 5.0 to mingw and got that to build, and fixed a couple of issues with the octave source code. However one recent change in octave has me blocked...

About 3 months ago you removed the glob/ directory that contained the fnmatch and glob functions from gnu libc. I presume the reason you did this was the assumption that all platforms on which octave would be built already had glob and fnmatch defined. However, mingw doesn't and so I'm current failing to build liboctave/glob-match.cc.

Could the changes that removed glob 3 months ago be removed? If not I think a build with mingw will be impossible... I could get fnmatch from libiberty.a, but would still need fnmatch.h, but libiberty.a doesn't contain glob.

This is the only thing that is blocking me for a mingw build at the moment. After I've built octave with mingw, I'll try and debug the previously reported patchsearch issues with mingw and after that I believe it will be relatively easy to have a fully function version of octave under mingw...

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary