Re: handle graphics

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: handle graphics
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:30:58 -0500

Jonathan Stickel wrote:
Daniel J Sebald wrote:

N Smethurst wrote:

So after ignoring us for years, John finally decides to take an interest in what must be considered the biggest downfall of an otherwise excellent numeric software system.

I'm not a fan of handle graphics. Opinion of course, but first finding a characteristic's position in some hierarchy tree before changing it always seems a bother to me.

Indeed. Although Nicholas's comments seem harsh, I tend to agree. I also don't see a tremendous need to replicate handle graphics either. I think the most important thing is to have a usable, and beautiful, graphics and visualization system available sooner rather than later. It could take years, if ever, to replicate Matlab's advanced 3D surface and volume functionality starting from scratch.

Gnuplot is catching up too.  I know it has been some slow going, but a lot of the
features are in the recent release.  Perhaps more coming soon...  although, pie charts is
still dodgy.  (Octave's fix with the repeated lines reminds of "Speedy" neon
signs from McDonald's way back when.)  Pie charts are a philosophical divide.

Dan