Re: Octave Workshop logo

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave Workshop logo
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:09:51 -0500

On 20-Feb-2006, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| I'd like to see a better icon as well. I definitely don't like the one
| Bill pointed out, which I didn't even know existed. I also have to admit
| that while the sombrero has become the de facto octave logo, it seems to
| me a bit of an imitation of the Matlab logo, so maybe we should consider
| thinking of a new one.

When I first put the sombrero on the Octave web page (1997 or 1998?) I
did not consciously think of the imitation angle.  I just wanted a
nice-looking 3-d graph.  The sombrero was easy to generate, so I went
with that.  I've also never really thought of the sombrero as a logo
for Octave, so I would certainly be in favor a an actual logo.

| One thing I do like about the sombrero is that it
| can be generated using octave, and I think any new design should do the
| same. Ideas?

I agree, though it would also be OK to have a logo that was just a
nice looking design that was drawn "by hand".  But if it is a graph of
a function of some kind, it should definitely be generated by Octave.