Re: How to break out of a computation?

From: Sebastien Loisel
Subject: Re: How to break out of a computation?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:18:45 +0100

| std::ostream &get_cerr(void) { return cerr; }

I don't think I want to add this function to Octave.  A DLL or shared
library is just an implementation detail.  There should be one
std::cerr symbol for a program.  If there are multiple std::cerr symbols
depending on the way a program is linked, then I would think that is a
bug in the compiler/libraries on your system.  Can you point to some
explanation of why this would not be a bug?

The experts at MinGW answered that question here:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1442855&forum_id=286529

Apparently it's a Microsoft design decision and there's no workaround except the one I gave above. Since I have zero hope of getting Microsoft to fix it, either it goes into octave, or embedded Octave users on Windows (including Cygwin) will forevermore use a patch.

Depending on why you oppose it, there are still possibilities. First off, you don't need to put this function in a header file anywhere. Second, if you don't want to pollute your symbol table, you can #ifdef __MINGW__ it. Third, you could autoconf it.

I'm cc'ing David because he had an opinion on this.

Sébastien Loisel