Re: Another dynamically linked documentation patch

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Another dynamically linked documentation patch
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:38:36 -0400

On 30-Apr-2007, Tom Holroyd wrote:

| Just to keep this on topic (?), let me add my vote for single
| spaces after periods everywhere. If emacs can't handle that now,
| then I'm sure it can be changed so that it will.

The Emacs manual says

     The sentence commands assume that you follow the American typist's
  convention of putting two spaces at the end of a sentence; they consider
  a sentence to end wherever there is a `.', `?' or `!' followed by the
  end of a line or two spaces, with any number of `)', `]', `'', or `"'
  characters allowed in between.  A sentence also begins or ends wherever
  a paragraph begins or ends.  It is useful to follow this convention,
  because it makes a distinction between periods that end a sentence and
  periods that indicate abbreviations; that enables the Emacs sentence
  commands to distinguish, too.  These commands to not stop for periods
  that indicate abbreviations.

     If you want to use just one space between sentences, you can set the
  variable `sentence-end-double-space' to `nil' to make the sentence
  commands stop for single spaces.  However, this mode has a drawback:
  there is no way to distinguish between periods that end sentences and
  those that indicate abbreviations.  For convenient and reliable
  editing, we therefore recommend you follow the two-space convention.
  The variable `sentence-end-double-space' also affects filling (*note
  Fill Commands::) in related ways.