Re: Relocatable octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Relocatable octave
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 05:55:30 -0400

On May 29, 2007, at 1:16 PM, Thomas Treichl wrote:

Paul Kienzle schrieb:

Another concern is that some folks will already have a fortran compiler installed, and this will not work with the fortran you used. Asking them to install yours may break their existing software.

On the other side they maybe would like to use their own fortran compiler they already have installed because they do know that the one they have installed really does work. This is my experience over the last weeks: I downloaded at least 5 different binary releases of different gfortran compilers. 3 of 5 didn't do a good job, ie. compilation and/or linking of octave failed with the gcc 4.0.1 that already is on my system.

So if we would say that we supply a gfortran compiler within the octave.app then how can we make sure that this gfortran works perfectly with the installed gcc on the user's Mac? What if somebody doesn't use XCode 2.4.1 but eg. (maybe) 2.2.x that comes with (don't know) gcc 3.3 - gfortran and gcc 3.2 might this be working?

If the gfortran you use doesn't work, then it won't work regardless of whether you include it your package. It may be that supporting 10.3 and 10.4 from the same app is too hard.

Regardless of how you resolve these issues, please make sure the fortran compiler is available from the same site as octave --- if the site you link to upgrades their fortran compiler your package may stop working. This happened to me with AquaTerm and GnuPlot being out of sync.
    - Paul

And where could this site be? Would sourceforge welcome hosting another fortran binary release?

As long as it is freely redistributable, we can host whatever we need.

- Paul