Re: Octave Packaging

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave Packaging
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:54:23 +0200

Paul Kienzle wrote:

> David,
>
> This is more complicated than I expected.   I've never used the Octave
> packaging system and don't know how its commands work.
>
> Most packaging systems I've dealt with allow you to do the steps
> independently --- unbundle, configure, build, test and install.  I was
> assuming the configure would be able to call the octave pkg configure
> command on the unbundled package, make would call octave pkg build and
> make install would call octave pkg install.  Package bundles would
> just do this for each directory in the bundle.  Assuming there is an
> octave pkg bundle command to build the bundle, I wouldn't expect there
> to be any extra work on the part of the package author.  The bundle
> command could insert configure and Makefile automatically.
At the moment there is only "pkg install" for the installation and "pkg
build" to allow the building of a binary package that can be installed
itself with "pkg install" without needing to rebuild. The problem with
your suggestion Paul is that Octave would need to know between
invocations of pkg where the unbundled package is. At the moment tmpnam
is used to generate a temporary directory that is removed between
invocations of pkg. Your suggestion would require that the directory is
kept and is known.. That might get a bit nasty..

> Regardless, I would recommend against repeating the logic of the pkg
> command in configure and Makefile since keeping them in sync will be a
> maintenance problem.
The suggestion only repeats the logic of installing files from the src/
to the inst/ directory prior to the install. All the rest of the logic
rests in pkg itself. So I don't think this is a big overhead.. The make
install target itself would be identical for all packages and so is
easily scriptable even if a little complex.. I'll produce a proposed
SRPM of this form later (sorry busy right now), and see if this is
acceptable to the debian packagers..

D.

>     - Paul

[x] General Business Information