Re: Patch proposal for axes.m

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Patch proposal for axes.m
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:33:01 +0200

Michael Goffioul wrote:
> On 8/29/07, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
>> You'll need a help string for ancestor.. If you need help turning into
>> texinfo, I could convert it if you send me the text..
>
> I'm not used to texinfo...
>
> Here's an initial help text:
>
> PARENT = ancestor(H, TYPE)
> PARENT = ancestor(H, TYPE, 'toplevel')
>
>   Returns the first ancestor of handle object H whose type matches TYPE,
>   where TYPE is a character string. If TYPE is a cell array of strings, the
>   first parent whose type matches any of the given type strings is returned.
>
>   If the handle object H is of type TYPE, H is returned.
>
>   If 'toplevel' is given as 3rd argument, ancestor returns the highest parent
>   in the object hierarchy that matches the condition, instead of the first
>   (nearest) one.
>
> Michael.

Hey this is an easy one as there are no equations or examples.. Try the
string

## -*- texinfo -*-
## @deftypefn {Function File} address@hidden =} ancestor (@var{h},
@var{type})
## @deftypefnx {Function File} address@hidden =} ancestor (@var{h},
@var{type}, 'toplevel')
## Returns the first ancestor of handle object @var{h} whose type matches
## @var{type}, where @var{type} is a character string. If @var{type} is a
## cell array of strings, the first parent whose type matches any of the
## given type strings is returned.
##
## If the handle object @var{h} is of type @var{type}, @var{h} is returned.
##
## If 'toplevel' is given as a 3rd argument, @code{ancestor} returns the
## highest parent in the object hierarchy that matches the condition,
instead
## of the first (nearest) one.
## @seealso{get, set}
## @end deftypefn

BTW, the appendix C "Tips and Standards" in the sub-section "Tips for
Documentation" has some hints on how to write texinfo help strings...

Cheers
David

Cheers
David