octave contributions (more): list mechanics, packages

From: Thomas L. Scofield
Subject: octave contributions (more): list mechanics, packages
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:58:24 -0500

OK.  I am now subscribed to the maintainers list.  I don't have that much experience with mail lists, so my first questions are about writing to this one.

Does this message start a new thread?  How do I go about continuing/adding to an old thread?  I received mail directly from John Eaton and Soren Hauberg when I wrote before.  Am I correct in thinking that, to view responses in general, you must actively do so (i.e., use a browser and visit the list website)?

Concerning development and use of packages, how much is platform specific?  I currently have a MacBook Pro as my main computer.  I have tried several times (over several minor releases) to install the image package without success.  (I have installed other packages, and I have Imagemagick.)  Is this likely to be a mac issue?

More generally, is it the case that the main code the people contribute is generally portable to all main platforms?  Or is coding often a more subtle business, writing it on one machine, taking it to another and testing it, making changes, etc.?  I may have an opportunity at funds for a Windows machine, and I guess I need some insight as to whether there is the need/justification for it.

Thomas L. Scofield
Assistant Professor
Calvin College