Re: octave contributions (more): list mechanics, packages

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: octave contributions (more): list mechanics, packages
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:51:21 +0100

Hi,
  Answers are below.

ons, 30 01 2008 kl. 09:58 -0500, skrev Thomas L. Scofield:
> Does this message start a new thread?
Yes. A new message to the list starts a new thread.

> How do I go about continuing/adding to an old thread?
Simply reply to a message in the old thread. The system works just like
standard e-mail. Since some people are not subscribed to the lists, it
is recommended to "Reply to all" when you continue a thread.

>   I received mail directly from John Eaton and Soren Hauberg when I
> wrote before.  Am I correct in thinking that, to view responses in
> general, you must actively do so (i.e., use a browser and visit the
> list website)?
No. People that are subscribed to the lists simply receive answers in
the e-mail.

> Concerning development and use of packages, how much is platform
> specific?
Usually when you only write m-files there aren't any platform issues. If
you however write C++ code (which you do when you link to external
libraries) there can be platform issues.

>   I currently have a MacBook Pro as my main computer.  I have tried
> several times (over several minor releases) to install the image
> package without success.  (I have installed other packages, and I have
> Imagemagick.)  Is this likely to be a mac issue?
It is probably a mac issue, but it's hard to tell. Do you get any error
messages from the install? Perhaps try to install the package using
  pkg install -verbose image-1.0.3.tar.gz
(or similar depending on the file name), and then report the output.
However, since the image package is part of the octave-forge project,
you should report the problem to the octave-forge mailing list. Just
send a mail to 'address@hidden' with the output.

> More generally, is it the case that the main code the people
> contribute is generally portable to all main platforms?  Or is coding
> often a more subtle business, writing it on one machine, taking it to
> another and testing it, making changes, etc.?  I may have an
> opportunity at funds for a Windows machine, and I guess I need some
> insight as to whether there is the need/justification for it.
Usually there aren't any platform issues, but it really depends on what
you want to develop.

Søren