Re: cd

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: cd
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:29:31 -0400

On 27-Aug-2008, Olaf Till wrote:

| On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 05:17:03PM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
| > On 25-Aug-2008, Levente Torok wrote:
| >
| > | Hi All,
| > |
| > | I ran into an other simple compatibility issue:
| > | In octave, 'cd' does not return anything however it should (pwd).
| >
| > Yes, this is a known "problem".  I'd consider a patch.
| >
| > But one thing that should not be "fixed" is that cd by itself should
| > change the current directory to $HOME.  ...
|
| Agree that this should not be "fixed", but wouldn't it be weird then
| if the current directory is printed before 'cd' changes to the home
| directory?  Olaf

We could return the current directory and not change it when nargin ==
0 and nargout > 0.  That would get all the programming cases where
someone does

  current_directory = cd;

and not screw up the common case of

  cd

at the command line.

Again, I'd consider a patch, but I don't really care enough about this
change to do it myself.