Re: support for advanced gnuplot features (was: Plotting semi-trasnparen

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: support for advanced gnuplot features (was: Plotting semi-trasnparent patches?)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 07:41:16 -0500

On Jan 28, 2009, at 9:57 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 28-Jan-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:

| On Jan 28, 2009, at 7:10 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
|
| > On 28-Jan-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:

| > |
| > | On Jan 28, 2009, at 10:49 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
| > |

| > with a
| > up of

| > changes I
| > |
| > | ok, I've pushed the changeset.
| >
| > Do you have a new patch for the X11 window geometry changes, or is the
| > old one still good?
| >
| > jwe
|
| I've modified the earlier version so that it references the new
| __gnuplot_has_feature__ function.
|
| It is attached. The position property is unidirectional. Thus moving
| the figure via the mouse will not stick (update the property). It
| should be possible to do that, but I don't understand the details of
| x11 or what gnuplot/octave know about the window's id to offer an
| informed opinion.

I think this is going to be an annoying feature for a lot of people.

I agree.

Even without a version of gnuplot that supports the X11 window
position feature, I see a difference with this patch, and I wasn't
expecting that.  Given the following sequence

 xlabel ("foo");
 ## move window with mouse
 ylabel ("bar");

Without the patch, the window stays put after moving it with the
mouse.

With the patch, and a version of gnuplot that does not support the
position feature, the window moves back to its original position after
the ylabel call.

I think you got that backwards (or my changeset is improperly implemented).

With or without my changeset , and without the gnuplot patch supporting the position feature, the window should stay put.

Without the changeset and with/without the gnuplot patch, the window should stay put.

Only with the changeset and with the gnuplot patch supporting the position feature, should the window move back to the position determined by the position property.

Can you confirm?

I think I'll hold off on applying this for now.

No problem.

If the event it is sensible to have gnuplot pass back each figure's window x11 id (is it called that?), it should be possible for to detect movements of the windows by the use and to reflect that in the properties.

Is that a sensible thing to do?

... and does anyone know enough about x11 to explain how that should be implemented?

Ben