Re: safer way to use gnulib (for other MacOS X users)

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: safer way to use gnulib (for other MacOS X users)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:06:56 +0100

Am 17.03.10 22:30, schrieb Ben Abbott:
On Wednesday, March 17, 2010, at 04:52PM, "Thomas Treichl"<address@hidden>
wrote:
Am 17.03.10 21:31, schrieb Ben Abbott:
On Wednesday, March 17, 2010, at 03:28PM, "Thomas Treichl"<address@hidden>
wrote:
Am 16.03.10 23:38, schrieb Ben Abbott:
On Mar 16, 2010, at 6:03 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 16-Mar-2010, Ben Abbott wrote:

| The dependencies of lex.cc aren't too many, so it finished quickly. Except
for the one failure I always get with data.cc, all tests pass.

| Thanks again!

OK, so now we finally have Octave+gnulib working on OS X, except that
we need to do something about the possibility of sigemptyset and
sigaddset being defined as preprocessor macros.

I've attached a diff for others who may be building on MacOS X.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I wasn't able to build a development snapshot for a very long time
because of the gnulib problems. With your patch and a fresh gnulib
checkout I get the following result on my 10.6 machine

      FAIL      0

So wow, thanks to all developers!

    Thomas

Thomas,

I continue to encounter a failure in data.cc.

   121>>>>>   processing
/Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/local_clone/src/data.cc
   122   ***** assert(log2(complex(0,Inf)), Inf + log2(i));
   123 !!!!! test failed
   124 assert (log2 (complex (0, Inf)),Inf + log2 (i)) expected
   125 Inf + 2.266i
   126 but got
   127 Inf - NaNi
   128 NaNs don't match

Using Apple's gcc-4.2.1, I've not been able to resolve this by changing the
optimization setting. Which gcc are you using and what level of optimization?

Ben

Oh yes, I remember I had similiar problems. I used these flags for CXX
and for my g95 with low optimization -O instead of at least -O2 or even
-O3 that I used before the change to gnulib. But I can check once again
with higher optimization tomorrow

Are you really using g95 and not gfortran?

If so what version? and did you use it to build all the fortran dependencies?

Ben

Hi Ben,

yes I'm really really using g95 and not gfortran because of two reasons
 a) I never installed gfortran on my 10.6 machine
 b) I'm using g95 that I've packed into Octave.app 3.2.3 which is

  which i386-apple-darwin8.11.1-g95; i386-apple-darwin8.11.1-g95
  --version
  /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/i386-apple-
  darwin8.11.1-g95
  G95 (GCC 4.0.3 (g95 0.91!) Feb 27 2008)
  Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

I used the libs that come with Octave.app 3.2.3 that I have built with the 10.4 system months ago. I'm compiling Octave against these libs and overwrite Octave 3.2.3 with 3.3.50+. This means that the rest of the system (you're right) is not really be built for 10.6 but with 10.4 SDK for a 10.4 system, only Octave is built against 10.6 SDK.

Today I used -O2 to compile the sources once again. The test script doesn't work anymore because of the following error

  octave-3.3.50+:1> fntests
  Integrated test scripts:
  invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment.
  octave-3.3.50+:2>

Regards

  Thomas