Re: Implementing loadlibrary, calllib, etc.

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Implementing loadlibrary, calllib, etc.
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:55:25 -0400

On Mar 24, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Ryan Rusaw wrote:

> Another option would be to use the libraries from the clang compiler
> project, http://clang.llvm.org/index.html, to parse and extract the
> necessary information from the header files.

I took a look at swig and it looks like extracting the necessary bits from swig
might be work work than it is worth.  On the other hand, maybe we should just
use swig altogether and then wrap all the specifics of loadlibrary, callib,
etc. around swig.  If I remember correctly, it seems that someone had a fairly
complete SwigOctave implementation.  clang looks like a much better solution
that gccxml.  It looks very easy to extract the same information as provided by
gccxml, without having to make a system() call to execute gccxml and depend on
an XML library for parsing the output.  There is a simple example given at
http://amnoid.de/tmp/clangtut/tut.html about how to extract global variables
from a source file.  It seems that parsing structs, functions, etc. should be
equally as simple.

JWE, I will definitely take baby steps and post progress to the mailing list.
I was originally planning to make this and OctaveForge package, but your
comment made me wonder if you thought it should go in the core of Octave?

John Swense