Re: Logos proposal

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Logos proposal
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 08:56:04 -0700

tir, 08 06 2010 kl. 13:17 +0200, skrev Fotios Kasolis:
> I would like to make a "proper" (in my opinion it should also be os
> independent) logo. I post work up to this point to get a direction (so
> that then we can re-discuss).

I would love to have an official logo, so thanks for looking into it.

One thing to keep in mind is that Octave is often perceived as a copy of
Matlab even if it is sooooo much more (I consider Matlab an unstable
low-quality copy of Octave...). So, I think we need to avoid having a
logo that is too similar to the Matlab logo. In other words: be careful
not to just show a mesh of some kind.

Regarding your suggestions, then I think the yellow and red parts are
visually a bit too agressive; they seem demand all the attention. I
would probably stay with the blue colours.

The first of your suggestions ("appIcon") has some text in the top
(spelling "Octave" using math symbols). I like that idea of having text
there, though I think the actual choice of text is a bit too clever. I
would go for something that looks more "hand-written". Here's my reason:

If you go to

  http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/about.html

you will see the following text:

        "
        Just about everyone thinks that the name Octave has something to
        do with music, but it is actually the name of one of the
        author's former professors who wrote a famous textbook on
        chemical reaction engineering, and who was also well known for
        his ability to do quick "back of the envelope" calculations. We
        hope that this software will make it possible for many people to
        do more ambitious computations just as easily.
        "

I think it would be a nice reference to the origin of the name "Octave"
if the logo actually included something that looks a bit like "back of
the envelope" calculations.

Anyway, those where just a few thoughts...

Soren