Re: The build system

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: The build system
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:24:27 -0500

On 8 July 2010 10:38, forkandwait <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I wish we could use something else to build Octave,
>
> I am talking way out of my expertise here, but I think cmake is considered a
> very reasonable replacement for autotools:

I was sorely tempted to drop the c-word myself, but I doubt that
Octave could use it. Partly, because it's not GNU, but also, because I
think just the way the sources themselves are written, they're tightly
integrated with an assumption of the GNU build system. Furthermore,
I'm not sure cmake meets Octave's requirements, and it doesn't aim to
solve the problem of maximum *nix portability (Octave gets compiled a
lot on Solaris and AIX machines and other industrial Unices, let's not
forget), but instead it aims to solve the problem of
Windows/MacOSX/general-Unix portability.

Maybe if I amass enough hubris, I'll try anyways to see what building
Octave with cmake is like. :-) But not soon.