Re: Octave on Reddit

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Octave on Reddit
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:28:49 -0400

On Sep 29, 2010, at 11:11 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> Or perhaps John Swensen can explain more fully why he prefers GTK+ to
> Qt, perhaps my concerns are unfounded and GTK+ is a perfectly good
> toolkit with which to attract users. Or perhaps attracting users isn't
> the actual goal at all.

I have no real affinity for either toolkit.  I have worked a bit with QT
(pre-QT4) and much more with GTK+ (and in particular the C++ bindings called
GTKMM). After my initial attempt at wrapping Octave in both GTK and QT around
2004, the one and only reason I started using GTK+ was the availability of a
complete terminal emulator widget that depended only on GTK+ and not Gnome.  At
the time, there was no terminal emulator widget for QT or KDE.  Now, there is
the ability to embed Konsole into a KDE application using their KParts
interface, but has the following drawbacks: (1) you need all of KDE (or at
least significant portions of it) and (2) interfacing with things embedded
through KParts can be a quite a hassle. Making a fully functional terminal
emulator is very much a non-trivial task and not something I wanted (or want)
to tackle.  I also didn't think it was reasonable to try to completely
re-implement all the functionality that the Octave command line already
provides.

QT4 on the other hand has some niceties:
- a better dockable widgets technique than the solution I have using libgdl for
GTK+
- OpenGL widgets were part of the design and not an afterthought (as it had
been for GTK+ until recently)
- others???

The other option that I never really investigated was using Java.  Maybe
someone with more Java experience could comment on the availability of complete
terminal emulator widget in Java that work on Linux/Windows/OSX.

I wouldn't say that support for GTK+ is lacking on Windows and OSX (both
Inkscape and Gimp are very complicated projects built against GTK+ for both
these platforms and work quite well).  What I would say is that many of the
libraries that depend on GTK+ still have issues on Windows and OSX.  Now maybe
some of these issues can be traced back to GTK+ itself, but I don't know enough
to say. User interface toolkits are complicated and convoluted things, so I
would expect that regardless of the toolkit chosen you will always run into
hiccups of some sort.

I guess my comments haven't really given any direction, but hopefully
elucidates the state of things. At least for the near future, I will probably
continue with GTK+ as it is the path of least resistance (for me) and OctaveDE
is reasonably complete (the SVN repository now has fixes to allow debugging
from the editor).  Hope this helps in some sense.

John Swensen