Re: Can't compile Octave source on Snow Leopard

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Can't compile Octave source on Snow Leopard
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 22:28:56 -0400

On Oct 16, 2010, at 8:51 PM, John Helly wrote:

> Hi.
>
> It seems that I can't compile the source code since:

> checking how to get verbose linking output from gfortran... -v
> checking for Fortran 77 libraries of gfortran...
> -L/usr/local/lib/gcc/i386-apple-darwin9.1.0/4.2.2
> -L/usr/local/lib/gcc/i386-apple-darwin9.1.0/4.2.2/../../.. -lm
> -lgfortranbegin -lgfortran
> checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... none
> checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme... unknown
> configure: WARNING: unknown Fortran name-mangling scheme
> configure: defining FFLAGS to be -O
> checking whether gfortran generates correct size integers... no
> configure: error: your Fortran compiler must have an option to make integers
> the same size as octave_idx_type (int).  See the file INSTALL for more
> information.
>
> I have a binary download running but it doesn't include textread and after
> obtaining the io package I assume I have to be able to compile the whole
> system from scratch since it looks like the io package wants the development
> environment of octave to compile.
>
> Does anyone know how to work around the Fortran problem on Snow Leopard?
>
> Cheers.
> --------------
> John Helly, UCSD / San Diego Supercomputer Center / Scripps Institution of
> Oceanography, Climate, Atmospheric Science, and Physical Oceanography / +01
> 760 840 8660 mobile / stonesteps (Skype) / stonesteps7 (iChat) /
> /www.sdsc.edu/~hellyj

I recently finally got Octave to build again on Snow Leopard.  I have attached
the script that I modified from a recent post on the maintainers list to use
the toolchain provided by MacPorts.  Hope this helps, and let me know if you
have any other questions.  Make sure to source the file with "." and a space so
that the environment variables persists after execution is completed.

. jarno_build.sh
make

John Swensen