Re: Default menus for fltk backend

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Default menus for fltk backend
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:24:17 -0600

2010/12/14 Kai Habel <address@hidden>:
>  Hello Jordi,
>
> On 14.12.2010 05:04, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Kai.
>>
>> On 13 December 2010 13:28, Kai Habel<address@hidden>  wrote:
>>>
>>> O.k. I have pushed this change now. Please give it a try and report any
>>> issues you see.
>>
>> I see that the default mode for 3d plots is now pan, which undoes an
>> old change of mine to make rotation the default. Was this intentional?
>
> I don't see this. For me rotate still is the default mode.

Huh, how very strange. At my 11363:456752abad08 changeset, I see this
behaviour again. I pulled this morning, so perhaps it was a temporary
burp in a past changeset.

>> I also see you created a GUI mode option whose utility I don't see
>> immediately. Shouldn't it be the data's job to know if it's 2d or 3d,
>> not the user's?
>
> No. I think the user should be in ultimate control. Automatisms are fine,
> but if the user decides differently the software should respect that.

I don't understand why you would want a manual mode at all. Does
anyone really want to rotate 2d plots 3-dimensionally? I suppose it's
no harm to make the functionality available...

- Jordi G. H.