Re: Thoughts on 3.4 release

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Thoughts on 3.4 release
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:15:29 -0600

On 16 December 2010 18:50, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
> One item that we still might want to consider is switching over to
> Fotos' new logos and branding.

Agreed.

> As a first step, I would suggest entering feature freeze and putting a note
> to that effect on the Savannah Bug Tracker.  Bug reporters should
> understand that their issues are merely being postponed, not
> ignored.

I'm not sure this is necessary. Setting that up might not be easy
given the limitations of Savane, the software running Savannah.
Furthermore, there's no commitment to fix any bugs, and users should
already know this. We can remind them. It's a volunteer-driven
project, except when jwe manages to find someone to pay him to
implement this or that feature. ;-)

> On a practical matter, we're running into Christmas and New Year's holidays
> which may reduce the amount of time available for coding for some.

For some of us, it actually increases it. :-)

> On a second practical note, what is the best way to maintain collaborative
> TODO lists?

I prefer the wiki option. We already have one, so why not use it?
Quick collaborative writing is precisely what a wiki should do, by
etymology.

So, jwe is the release manager again, right? How are releases going to
happen? I have a few patches cooking, although I don't think any of
them are critical. Should I wait until after the release to propose
them, or can we still have parallel development in a separate branch
of new features while the freeze is in effect?

- Jordi G. H.