Re: [OctDev] rpm packaging of octave packages

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: [OctDev] rpm packaging of octave packages
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 00:01:46 +0100

Hi

tir, 21 12 2010 kl. 15:50 -0700, skrev Orion Poplawski:
> I'm starting to take a look at creating a standard method of building rpms of
> octave packages for Fedora.  I'm starting with the old octave-forge package
> as
> a starting point.

I don't really know that much about RPM's, so I can't offer much helpful
insight. David Bateman did some work on autogenerating RPM spec files
for packages. Did you look at this?

> Although, now that I look at the octave-forge repo, I don't see a single
> package that has an on_unistall.m file.  Could we reserve this for distro use?

Can't you just add an 'on_rpm_uninstall.m' and do a

  echo "on_rpm_uninstall" >> on_uninstall.m

to ensure that this script is called?

> Finally, when a user tries to remove and rpm install octave package, they get:
>
> octave:3> pkg uninstall octcdf
> warning: some of the packages you want to uninstall are not installed
>
> which does not seem correct.

Hmm, I guess we should check if the package in question is installed by
'root' and adapt the error message accordingly. We could say something
like: "warning: you do not have the necessary privileges to remove
package 'XXX'". Could you open a bug report on http://bugs.octave.org
for this?

Søren