Re: who is building Octave on Windows systems?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: who is building Octave on Windows systems?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:24:05 -0500

On 25-Jan-2011, Benjamin Lindner wrote:

| >> has reported a few build problems, but no one has confirmed them:
| >>
| >>   https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?32192
| >>   https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?32200
|
| I can confirm both of them.
|
| The workaround is to include <unistd.h> from gnulib *twice*:
|
| diff --git a/liboctave/oct-env.cc b/liboctave/oct-env.cc
| --- a/liboctave/oct-env.cc
| +++ b/liboctave/oct-env.cc
| @@ -48,6 +48,7 @@
|
|  #include <sys/types.h>
|  #include <unistd.h>
| +#include <unistd.h>
|
|  #include "progname.h"

Is your copy of gnulib up to date?  If so, do you have the problem if
you run the following in your build tree:

  cd libgnu
  make maintainer-clean
  cd ..
  /path/to/octave/sources/configure ...
  make

?

Can you send me the libgnu/unistd.h file that is generated when you
build Octave?  On my system, it begins with

  if __GNUC__ >= 3
  #pragma GCC system_header
  #endif

  /* Special invocation convention:
     - On mingw, several headers, including <winsock2.h>, include <unistd.h>,
       but we need to ensure that both the system <unistd.h> and <winsock2.h>
       are completely included before we replace gethostname.  */
  #if 1 && 0 \
    && !defined _GL_WINSOCK2_H_WITNESS && defined _WINSOCK2_H
  /* <unistd.h> is being indirectly included for the first time from
     <winsock2.h>; avoid declaring any overrides.  */
  # if 1
  #  include_next <unistd.h>
  # else
  #  error unexpected; report this to address@hidden
  # endif
  # define _GL_WINSOCK2_H_WITNESS

Does yours have similar lines?  On your system, I would expect it to
have #if 1 && 1, not #if 1 && 0.  But it looks like there has been
some thought about getting declarations from the system unistd.h file,
so I think this problem needs to be reported to the gnulib developers,
assuming you have an up to date copy of the gnulib sources.