OctaveDE in QT [was Re: looking ahead to 3.6]

From: John Swensen
Subject: OctaveDE in QT [was Re: looking ahead to 3.6]
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 00:40:18 -0500

On Feb 28, 2011, at 6:25 PM, John Swensen wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2011, at 3:44 PM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
>>
>> I gave it a try and could get an initial version of qtermwidget working
>> on Windows/MSVC (thankfully, Qt is MSVC-friendly). It's far from
>> problem-free,
>> but it's a starting point.
>>
>> Michael.
>
> Michael,
> Thanks for taking a look at this.  I have been trying to hack on qtermwidget
> so I could openpty and dup2 the STDOUT, STDIN, and STDERR file descriptors
> and set the master side of the qtermwidget PTY, but am not having any luck.
> That is how the current OctaveDE + VTE works, but doesn't seem to work with
> qtermwidget.  I really don't understnad TTYs and PTYs very well, so I don't
> understand while switching the master side of the PTY doesn't work.
>
> Does anyone on the list understand PTYs well and could give me some insight?
> The reason I want to do it this way is so the IDE and Octave run in the same
> process space and thus the octave_server class doesn't have to do any fancy
> IPC.
>
> John Swensen

It took a bit of work, but I now have the most recent source for Konsole
converted to be "KDE free".  The sources for qtermwidget made it a lot easier
when there were steps I wasn't quite sure about.  I also modified the test
program of the qtermwidget library to launch Octave and a thread inside the
same program running the terminal.  At this point, Octave is running in a
terminal emulator widget in the same memory space as the user interface (i.e.
no crazy IPC to communicate with Octave internals).  I should be able to use
the exact same octave_server class hooked into the readline idle loop that I
used previously in OctaveDE/GTK+ and start implementing the panels for history,
variables information, etc.

I think Michael is going to take a look at the Windows side of things, but I
have a problem with it working on OSX.  I am not quite sure why.  The
qtermwidget works fine on OSX and my version works fine if I don't use the
openpty, dup2, set the PTY master for the Konsole widget, and then spawn
octave_main() in a thread.  If any OSX gurus have a chance to look at this, it
should compile fine with just a basic QT dev package installed and CMake.

http://swengames.com/misc/OctaveDE_QT_LinuxWorking.tgz

Anyone else who wants to take a gander is more than welcome, and any input is
requested.

John Swensen

P.S. Sorry to those who got this email twice