Better wiki

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Better wiki
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 20:27:13 -0500

2011/8/2 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:

> | (and make a better Octave wiki)?
>
> That would be great. What do you have in mind?

Mediawiki would be great.

> What software is used to run the current wiki?

I believe it's ikiwiki. I don't like it very much.

> Is there something better that we could be using? I could easily
> install MediaWiki on www.octave.org.

That would be very nice if you wanted to do it. I've done Mediawiki
installs myself other times, and it was easy enough. What I think is
gonna be laborious is to convert ikiwiki to mediawiki. I forget who
was administrating the wiki, but if I could get a database dump, I
could probably hack together a conversion script in Perl from ikiwiki
to Mediawiki.

> Currently, www.octave.org is separate from the gnu.org site and
> could be used to host a few things that we can't run on the gnu.org
> site, like a wiki, or a bug tracker (if we decided to use something
> other than the one available on savannah), or anything else that
> requires a database or much server-side scripting, etc.

or Agora. ;-)

- Jordi G. H.