Re: Binary distribution

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Binary distribution
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 18:53:01 -0500

On 2 August 2011 12:21, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> Windows and OS X are treated specially because there is no other
> reasonable channel for users to get binaries?

Basically, yes.

> Or do we also distribute .deb and .rpm files?

No, GNU-based distributions are often competent enough to do their own
packaging and in fact prefer it this way. Windows and Macintosh OS
users prefer to go digging through webpages and clicking on download
links on individual project pages to get their software. Many other
free projects distribute binaries just this way, treating Windows and
Macintosh differently.

- Jordi G. H.