Re: [Patch, Profiler] First hierarchical data

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: [Patch, Profiler] First hierarchical data
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 19:28:17 +0200

On 08/15/11 05:04, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> 2011/8/12 Daniel Kraft <address@hidden>:
>
>> Here are two very small patches:
>>
>> macros.diff just changes the profiler invokations to use macros,
>> as suggested by jwe elsewhere. This seems also like a nice change
>> to me, since we could in the future easily change the macros; for
>> instance, to use a different profiler or whatever we like.
>> Besides, I think the user-code now looks nicer.
>>
>> hierarchical.diff is a tiny patch that just adds return of the
>> hierarchical data to profile('info').  This way, the user has a
>> first "official" way to get to it.
>
> I've pushed them, this time without modification:
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/paper-graph/

Thanks!

> As far as preparing the delivery for Google, I think the attached
> will suffice as far as code we should show. It's just all of the
> patches you submitted together with your commit messages.

Yes, that's nice -- thanks for putting the stuff together!  AFAIK, the
code submission for Google is really just to make their lawyers happy;
the main use of the code is that it's included in Octave, anyway.

So in the past they accepted pretty much anything, from .diff files to
ZIP-archives of files.  Thus, your combined patch is surely all we need.

> I think the next immediate goal should be documentation. Spend a day
> or two writing a short little tutorial on how to do so. Look at the
> .txi files under doc/interpreter for examples on how to write the
> manual chapter. Once that is done, work on the interface for seeing
> the hierarchical data, but please don't neglect the documentation!

Ok, then I'll work on the documentation next.  Tomorrow I'm still busy
with my exam, but Wednesday to Friday I should have time to do so.
Where should I place the profiler tutorial in the manual?  Do you have a
suggestion?  But I guess once I've written it as Texinfo chapter, it
should be easy to place anywhere we decide upon.

Yours,
Daniel

- --
or use https://safesend.domob.eu/
- --
Done:  Arc-Bar-Cav-Kni-Ran-Rog-Sam-Tou-Val-Wiz
To go: Hea-Mon-Pri