Re: [OctDev] Octave-Forge bugs in the tracker?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Octave-Forge bugs in the tracker?
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 20:12:05 -0500

2011/9/8 Carnë Draug <address@hidden>:
> On 8 September 2011 22:50, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 8 Sep 2011, at 23:39, Carnë Draug wrote:
>>
>>> If we do stay in sourceforge, then we
>>> should at least start using its bug tracker (which some users do use
>>> to report bugs but no one checks. There must be a way to have a mail
>>> be sent to octave-forge ML when anything changes on the bug tracker).
>>
>> It seems that more integration with mailing lists
>> is one of the main features of the new version of
>> the tracker on OF:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Tracker%20-%20Beta/
>>
>> Do you think we should try out this feature?
>
> Yes! It seems to me there's not enough momentum to mave a big move to
> savannah. We might as well start using SF then.

Okay, wait. Objection, your honour. I want to raise again a couple of
points (and sorry if I'm a little repetitive):

1) I'm tired of telling people that report 'Forge bugs to Octave that
   they're doing something wrong. Staying in SF won't fix this.

2) Octave is GNU and Octave-Forge packages should also be as GNU as
   possible. Call me whatever you want, but I'm a little uncomfortable
   with SourceForge luring us with bells and whistles while not giving
   us free tools:

       http://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html

I also don't like that I can't go and fix the minor bugs I find in
Octave-Forge packages, but I guess that's just because I've gotten
used to pushing my own patches on Octave and would like to do the same
to 'Forge packages. I also don't like that we treat Windows and Mac OS
X binaries as something "external" to Octave.

Fine, I say we let Octave-Forge packages go in the non-GNU part of
Savannah. We won't enforce GNU coding standards on them, nor any
particular free license as long as it's GPL compatible. We can keep
using svn because people are more comfortable with it. But at least
bring them closer to Octave.

- Jordi G. H.