OctConf 2012

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: OctConf 2012
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 13:31:28 -0500

I talked about this privately with some of you several months ago, and
I didn't want to mention anything again until I could be more sure of
my own situation.

I want to have an Octave conference in Montréal during summer of 2012.
I think it's a good way to bring developers together while at the same
time raising Octave's profile within the numeric community. I have
started talking to people, looking for sponsors and that sort of
thing. I have found a place to host it, and I want everyone to start
planning for it.

If there are no overwhelming complaints against it, I propose the
first Monday of June 2012, in Montréal. That's a six month notice.
Modelled on the Sage Days conferences, I propose we do it for a whole
work week, 5 days, where the first two are dedicated to helping
beginners setup and use Octave and the last three are spent on actual
development work, including helping those beginners get into
development. This gives people some flexibility if they only want to
attend the end or beginning of the conference.

I will be asking local organisations and universities for sponsorship,
and if you can help me by finding any other sources of sponsorship,
please let me know. Fotios, I specifically cс'ed you in case you could
help us by updating the initial conference poster you made (attached),
remembering that this would be the 2nd such conference. Stefan, you're
also local, so I was hoping you might help me a little organising
this. I think you said you had some ideas of which doors to knock on
for sponsorship. With some luck, perhaps we can start having these
anually now.

See you in June, hopefully!
- Jordi G. H.