Re: Octave-3.6.1 for Windows (VS2008/VS2010) available

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave-3.6.1 for Windows (VS2008/VS2010) available
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 22:28:31 +0100

Michael Goffioul wrote:
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 6:36 PM, PhilipNienhuis<address@hidden>  wrote:

<snip>

Well, it loads instantaneous (while the MinGW version takes ~25 secs).
This may be due to the fact that no package is loaded by default at
startup. Although 25s is quite large...

On MinGW, loading all packages takes a mere second of CPU time (3 sec waiting time). So that is not the issue. I suspect the delay for Octave itself is due to initialization of the MinGW environment behind the scenes.

4. Do you have plans to include the java spreadsheet .jar files with your
> binary package? AFAICS all of them are covered under Apache or GPL license.
Maybe. It depends the additional size to the installer. If it adds
megs to the installer, I think I'll prefer to keep it separate,
especially if it's not mandatory for the io package normal usage.

Around 18 MB.

For 10 % of the io functions no jars are needed. As to spreadsheet I/O (the remaining 90 %): - For .xls/.xlsx I/O the Windows package would be sufficient. If no Excel is installed however, some Java jars become required.
- For .ods I/O some jars are needed.
If the user has OpenOffice or LibreOffice installed, again no jars are needed - they're contained in OOo/LO itself. But: the UNO-Java/Octave communication is still delicate if not unstable.

FYI, an overview of disk size of Java jars for the respective interfaces + my personal impression as developer is here:

.xls:
POI: 9 MB  (probably the best Java-based .xsl/.xlsx option, not superfast)
JXL: 1 MB  (tricky for writing, fairly fast reading, can read Excel95)
OXS: 2 MB  (fastest for reading, absolutely unusable for writing)
UNO: -     (tricky, but can read ANY format OOo itself can read)

.ods:
OTK: 5 MB  (a bit of a dinosaur, works good, sometimes keeps files locked)
JOD: 3 MB  (fast, not very versatile, but it Just Works)
UNO: - see above. UNO is fairly inefficient for small files, for large ones (> 10 MB) it becomes indispensable.

6. Gnuplot pictures are different (incomplete; e.g., no text) compared to
fltk ones.

Not sure I understand this one. Do you have an example?

See attached pics.

Philip