Re: GPL, LGPL, and copyleft

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: GPL, LGPL, and copyleft
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:12:17 -0400

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
> Reiterating what I said in a previous post, the possible infringement I see
> is the use of the word "Octave" in the name "GUI Octave" because that
> implies an association with the Octave project, but that falls outside of
> GPL.  In my opinion, only JWE in this discussion group could take legal
> action on that.

I agree that it's ridiculous for some closed-source wrapper to
masquerade as some official part of GNU Octave. But I disagree that
*only* jwe has any standing here. The name GNU is plastered all over
that site and GNU Octave is a FSF project. Another thing to consider
is that it's not entirely clear to me that guioctave.com was
registered in good faith.

--judd