Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated

From: John Frain
Subject: Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 21:33:30 +0100

2012/4/5 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
> On 5 April 2012 10:59, Lukas Reichlin <address@hidden> wrote:
 snip

> If Windows had a nicer packaging infrastructure, it would be nice if
> you could say "pkg install package" and the package would install
> forever. Sadly, it doesn't, and "pkg install" is essentially useless
> in Windows, so I think "pkg load" (and perhaps patching pkg load to
> add that command to .octaverc?) is the next best thing.

Agreed but if you use windows 7 and emacs EOS Emacs locks if you have
a .octaverc file in your home directory.  I have had this problem on
several PCs, all recent versions of Octave and all recent versions of
Emacs. ave If I rename the .octaverc to something.m then I can run
something.m after starting octave. I have also used octave in Ubuntu
and do not have the same problem.

Best Regards

John

I have exercised various options for packages as provided in various
windows installation packages.  As a windows user I would be happy to
use any of the options that have been provided.

--
John C Frain, Ph.D.
Trinity College Dublin