Re: Disabling JIT in build

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Disabling JIT in build
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 16:34:05 -0700

On 09/05/2012 11:42 AM, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

9/5/12

Michael,

This is something for the configuration and build system and I believe it
is worth doing.  Eventually, everyone will want to have code acceleration,
but as it is still fairly experimental we should have an easy way to
disable it with a '--disable-jit' option.

--Rik

If it is feasible, --disable-jit would be very useful, not just while JIT is still
experimental.  It would make it quite a lot easier to measure how much good
the JIT is doing.  If --disable-jit is feasible, it seems to me that an Octave
command to turn it on/off could (should) also be implemented.

Will this work?
9/5/12

Michael,

I just committed a change (http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/df7ab06ff541) which, among other things, adds a '--disable-jit' option to configure.  This is a configure time decision.  Eventually we could try and build a run-time capability for turning JIT on or off, but that is another project down the road.

--Rik

Michael