Re: Disabling JIT in build

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: Re: Disabling JIT in build
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 23:58:40 -0400

On 09/05/2012 08:01 PM, Max Brister wrote:
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 11:42 AM, Michael D Godfrey wrote:
>

> 9/5/12
>
> Michael,
>
> This is something for the configuration and build system and I believe it
> is worth doing.  Eventually, everyone will want to have code acceleration,
> but as it is still fairly experimental we should have an easy way to
> disable it with a '--disable-jit' option.
>
> --Rik
>
> If it is feasible, --disable-jit would be very useful, not just while JIT is
> still
> experimental.  It would make it quite a lot easier to measure how much good
> the JIT is doing.  If --disable-jit is feasible, it seems to me that an
> Octave
> command to turn it on/off could (should) also be implemented.
>
> Will this work?
>
> 9/5/12
>
> Michael,
>
> I just committed a change
> (http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/df7ab06ff541) which, among
> other things, adds a '--disable-jit' option to configure.  This is a
> configure time decision.  Eventually we could try and build a run-time
> capability for turning JIT on or off, but that is another project down the
> road.
>
> --Rik
>

> Michael

I think the idea was to include JIT in the next release as an
experimental feature disabled by default. Currently, if you do not
pass LLVM_CONFIG, JIT is automatically disabled. Maybe instead we
should have a --enable-jit option and automatically try to find
llvm-config if it is specified?

I would like to get a few bugs fixed before the release. Mainly, the
32 bit windows issue and JIT skipping breakpoints. Adding a runtime
option to enable/disable JIT is very easy. I'm not sure if it is
necessary though. Ideally, we should fix JIT related bugs.

-- Max Brister
The runtime option would be very useful outside of bug fixing.  It
would allow testing acceleration, for example.  Also, there will likely
be some bugs we have not found yet.  If it it is not hard to implement
it would be helpful to go ahead.

Michael