Re: [OctDev] moving Octave Forge mailing list to core's mailman server

From: Carnë Draug
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 21:26:20 +0100

On 23 November 2012 20:00, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
> Wasn't there some discussion about changing the name "forge" because of
> confusion with SourceForge?
>
> What about Agora?  Should that have it's own mail list?

Yes there was a discussion at OctConf and we agreed to keep the name
Forge. Agora would have 3 sections, one of them named forge for Octave
Forge. It's likely that Forge came from being hosted at Sourceforge,
but if we move out we can still keep that part of the name.

I don't think that packages is a name representative of what the
mailing list is meant for. There are other packages not part of Octave
Forge. And this will be specially true if Agora works and many people
upload their own packages (who will not be part of Octave Forge). Such
name would suggest that we are developing them and giving them
support. We will not. For such cases, users should contact the Agora
package author directly. That is also the reason why Agora should not
have its own mailing list. If one compares Agora to FileExchange, it
does not make sense to have everyone that ever submitted code to
FileExchange on a mailing list in case a user has a question for one
of them.

On 23 November 2012 19:46, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 07:17:40PM +0100, Carnë Draug wrote:
>> * some e-mails are sent for more than one mailing list. If the same
>> mailman server is handling them, this should prevent people from
>> receiving 2 e-mails with the same subject.
>
> Really? It does not seem to be so with octave-help and
> octave-maintainers now.

Oh! I thought mailman was smarter than that. It may be gmail that is
fusing the 2 e-mails together, I assumed it was mailman doing.

On 23 November 2012 20:00, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
> How much activity does the help list get?

In what units?

> What is it primarily for? For
> newer users needing help with language?  Help for compiling?  Just asking
> questions here as a means to review the current situation.

The help list is to obtain help with Octave, be it compiling,
vectorizing code, how to use a specific function, how to solve a
specific problem with Octave, and also for announcements such as new
Octave releases, new Forge package releases, people offering jobs to
Octave users, and anything else that is not related to the development
of Octave.

Carnë