Re: [OctDev] moving Octave Forge mailing list to core's mailman server

From: Daniel J Sebald
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 14:44:25 -0600

On 11/25/2012 01:48 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 25 November 2012 19:58, Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 11/25/2012 11:47 AM, Carnė Draug wrote:

On 23 November 2012 19:17, Carnė Draug<address@hidden>   wrote:

Hi everyone

I'm proposing moving the current Octave Forge mailing list
(address@hidden) to the same server as as the ones
from Octave core. My suggestion is to have the following octave
related mailing lists:

* address@hidden - same as now, discussion of development of
Octave core
* address@hidden - new mailing list for discussion of development of
Octave Forge
* address@hidden - mailing list for discussion of any help related to
Octave (packages included)

I spoke with JWE about this and he suggested to keep only the
maintainers and help mailing lists, moving the development discussions
of Octave Forge to the Octave core maintainers mailing list. That
should avoid any confusion new users may have.

I do not oppose to it, after all there's not that many Octave Forge
only development threads.

Traffic fluctuates.  Sometimes one is more active than the other. Before
combining these two, how about considering some alternate names?  I get both
mailing lists at the moment.  I do like the separation for the reason you
explained very well a month or two ago, i.e., folks tend to gravitate toward
one list because it is too much to pay attention to everything.

To me, "forge" is simply too generic.  That the term "forge" may be common
for other projects doesn't change that fact.  We feel these two are good:

Forge is not too generic since the project name is Octave Forge.
Therefore, no doubt should come out of an address such as
address@hidden

As the third category, how about:

address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden

[snip]

applications: For advanced features such as packages and interface to other
software.

You seem to be confused about what Octave Forge is.

Yes, that is my point. Developers talk of Octave Forge as though it is something other than packages, something more encompassing, etc. I look at the website

http://octave.sourceforge.net/

and I see at the very top, first thing:

"Octave-Forge - Extra packages for GNU Octave"

Am I mistaken for assuming then that Octave Forge is primarily packages? What is this "forge" concept that I'm not understanding?

I get a lot of email with OctDev tagged onto it (the name OctDev itself leads to confusion given it is associated with Octave Forge...and I understand this is why we are discussing name changes) and discussions seem to be primarily about packages and Java and applications. That seems like advanced stuff.

We are not the go
to place for all applications, packages and advanced Octave stuff.

OK, that's not what it is.  What is it?

There's plenty of applications and packages for Octave that are not
part of Forge.

That doesn't mean Octave Forge isn't primarily about packages and applications. What is Forge?

 Calling it advanced is insulting to core as if one
could not do advanced stuff with core only.

No it isn't. Packages encompass advanced fields of study. Calling something advanced doesn't imply something else isn't advanced in its own way.

Now, if we want to combine bug reports for applications and maintainers in
the same tracker,

Tracker? We are only talking about mailing list. Bug reports are to be
discussed on the bug trackers so they should never appear on the
mailing list. I'll make sure to direct any discussion of Octave Forge
bugs to the Octave Forge bug tracker.

Yes and no. I often see discussions of bugs. Some bugs are straightforward and remain on the tracker. Some are either vague and difficult to solve and warrant help from others, hence discussion list. Some bugs expose an underlying weakness in design and warrant discussion about design modifications.

That said, the only type of threads from the current Octave Forge
mailing list that would now appear in maintainers would be license
stuff, adding of new packages, google summer of code, etc... As an
example, for the month of November, these are the threads:

Yes, those all make sense. There is some overlap, which is fine. Occassional duplication hasn't struck me as a concern as of yet. Perhaps others feel otherwise.

I guess the question is whether Octave Forge should be rolled into an all inclusive Octave. Presumably that's the way it will be someday, provided things stabilize. Is that day approaching? Sort of, but not quite yet, I would argue.

2012 has certainly been one of the most active years of development, and I think the reorganization of the core code has gone a long way toward a more developer-friendly project. However, the GUI will be a wave of issues in a multi-platform supported project. If Forge-related posts get mixed with core-related posts with an increase due to GUI issues, could it be too much?

I propose a holding pattern with discussions about consolidation and rolling out the GUI as part of, or coincident with, OctConf 2013?

Dan

- these ones were in both maintainers and forge mailing list and don't
really count (this seems to becoming more common over time) :

* this very own thread
* http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octconf-2013-td4646964.html -
discussion of OctConf2013
*
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/low-level-I-O-GPIB-USBTMC-VXI11-td4646993.html
- about various instrument control packages that are not part of
OctaveForge and whether they could be merged (descended into
discussion of legal stuff and was eventually moved to the maintainers
mailing list)
* http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/complex-error-function-td4645714.html
- someone shared code for Octave and it was discussed where it should
go

-
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/removing-java-package-from-SVN-tree-td4647021.html
- this ones was about the removal of the java package from Octave
Forge since it was moved to Octave core. It was not mentioned in the
maintainers mailing list but I wouldn't not have been out of place
together with an announcement of its move

- the following 4 e-mails were all on the same subject. We decide to
restrict the licenses in forge and sent a couple of e-mails to the
copyright owners asking to relicense their code

*
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/removal-of-non-standard-licenses-in-Octave-Forge-td4645841.html
*
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Re-License-Andy-Adler-s-code-in-Octave-Forge-td4646143.html